by Tyler Tork, the website developer.
This is the table of contents for a series of pages that describe how this website was put together. It’s intended as a tutorial that (I hope) will let even the technically challenged set up and maintain a nice website for themselves or for a group, including any number of static pages and a blog.
- Introduction, rationale, philosophical considerations.
- Register a domain name.
- Obtain hosting service.
- Set up email accounts.
- Install WordPress on your site.
- Should you enable Jetpack and connect to WordPress.com?
- Set your website title and a few other adjustments.
- You now have a website. Celebrate! Write a blog entry!
- Create static pages (Home, Contact, etc) and navigation.
- Create a menu to let people navigate your site.
- Block spam.
- Select a theme to change the overall look of your site.
- Add customized header and background images.
- Add features using free plugins, for contact forms, share buttons, and much more.
- Get rid of the “Proudly powered by WordPress” footer.
There are a lot of screen shots in here, which you may find too small to read. Click to enlarge them.
— More pages I have yet to write —
- Back up your site.
- You’ve got updates!
- Adjust site layout.
- Create links.
- Customize your sidebars.
- Create a favicon.
- Set up statistics tracking.
- Advanced appearance control using Weaver II theme.
- Search Engine Optimization.